Greenhouse Essentials Plus
Foundational elements for an introduction to horticulture and agriculture
This is a list of suggested equipment for a level 2 greenhouse. The equipment package is functional but simple, designed for elementary and middle schools that will be introducing young students to the horticultural and agricultural industries. You may find that some of the items in the level 2 package are not necessarily based on your greenhouse design. This package comes with all the features and benefits of an architectural-grade greenhouse.
Side Wall Vents
Allows fresh air intake at the lower level of the greenhouse. The suggested quantity of 1 per 4′ of the side wall.
- Aluminum framed, awning-hinged windows with fiberglass screens.
- Typically 3′ wide x 2′ tall
- Manual crank-out operation
- Must be used in conjunction with roof exhaust fans
Provides access in and out of the greenhouse, which may be considered a “fire exit.” One as needed per project.
- Aluminum framed, narrow stile commercial door
- Typically 3′ wide by 7′ tall
- Includes push / pull hardware
- Panic hardware available
- Double doors at 42″ wide or 6′ wide are available
Roof Exhaust Fan
Aluminum Exhaust fans are made especially for greenhouses with aluminum slant-wall housing, louvers, and safety grill. These extract the hot air, pulling fresh air in from intake shutters. Usually, you’ll only need one unless in an extreme Southern climate.
30″ fans with 1/3hp are usually adequate but other sizes are available.
- 115v, activated by the control system
- Used in conjunction with intake shutters on opposing walls
Horizontal Air Flow (HAF) Fans
Used in pairs to create gentle, horizontal air circulation. The suggested quantity of 2 per 750 square feet floor area.
- Wire basket frame around fan for rafter suspension
- 12″ diameter size
- 115V with manual (switch) activation
Keep plants alive and people comfortable during winter months. Ask for assistance with suggested usage.
- Ceiling suspended unite heater (natural gas or LP available)
- 115V, thermostat activated
- Heat may be supplied by adjacent building’s primary heat system if controlled separately.
- Gas heaters require gas piping and venting duct work
Comfort Glide™ shades for the roof area using our exclusive built-in shade tracks. We suggest shades for every West-facing bay for optimal greenhouse comfort.
- Width to match bay for the length of the roof
- Manual pull cord operation
- Select your preferred fabric and color
- Reduces glare and excessive heat during warmer months
- Provides insulation and insulates on colder nights
These are used to extract hot air from the greenhouse, pulling fresh air in from the wall vents. Suggested as continuous unites along the ridge.
- Aluminum framed, ridge vent windows.
- Typically 3′ wide by 2′ tall
- Motorized drive shaft with scissor arm operators; 115v activated by the control system.
Must be used in conjunction with side wall vents. Traditional rack and pinion operators are not recommended due to their appearance, space consumption, and safety concerns. Each vent motor will require a control box separate from the control system.
Air Intake Shutters
Aluminum intake shutters open when the exhaust fan comes on providing fresh air. We suggest 2 shutters per exhaust fan.
- Typically 21″ x 21″
- 115v motorized, activated by the control system
Environmental Control System
A central controller for most cooling and heating equipment including wall and ridge vents, exhaust fans, intake shutters, HAF fans, and heater. This is the greenhouse-specific, “entry-level,” four-stage control system with a corrosion-resistant cabinet, blueprints, and temperature sensor. You’ll need one per greenhouse (per zone).
- Control system measures 16″ x 14″ x 6″ in the cabinet
- 115v: one-stage heating, 3 stage cooling
- Minimal training required for operation
Provide a growing area for the plants. Typically used around the perimeter and in the center of the greenhouse.
- 3′ tall by 3′ wide
- Available in lengths of 3′, 4′ and 6′
An area to work with plants and for study. Suggest two to three per average size greenhouse.
- 36″ tall x 30″ wide
- Available in 48″ or 60″ long
- Optional sink and lower half shelf available
Portable Evaporative Cooler
Plastic housed, aluminum framed, evaporative cooler on wheels with oscillating head. We recommend 1 per greenhouse unless the greenhouse is located in a Northern climate and will not be used in the Summer.
Used to supply cool, humid air to plants.
- 33″ x 33″ widths x 52″ tall with a 24-gallon reservoir
- Setting pads and plumbing required for exterior units
Equipment by Other Trades to Consider
- Water Supply: Multiple water spigots with watering and misting hoses.
- Floor Drains: At least one per greenhouse will ease clean-up considerably.
- Grow Lights: Since these are installed by a licensed electrician, they are the best resource to obtain the grow lights. Our recommendation is the high-pressure sodium fixtures by P.L. Light Systems